This roasted Garlic Butter Potatoes recipe is full of flavor, loaded with garlic and very easy to make. The potatoes are crispy and spicy, an ideal side to any meat dish.
I love cooking and eating potatoes at anytime. Potatoes are delicious no matter how they are cooked!
Whether boiled, roasted, fried, grilled, mashed, hash-browned or as gratin, side dish or main dish, the list of potato dishes goes on and on and the options are endless.
In this recipe we will boil, cook and roast the potatoes to intensify the flavor and get that lovely crisp outside with a fluffy soft interior that is guaranteed to satisfy you taste buds.
I like to use baby potatoes with this recipe because they are easy to clean, no peeling required, they cook fast and they give you this creamy sweet, taste—unlike other types of potatoes.
I use a little bit of butter when cooking them, but if you want to go completely vegan with this recipe, simply substitute more olive oil for the butter or use a tablespoon of vegan butter.
I also like to use fresh herbs with this recipe. Thyme, oregano, rosemary or fresh mint, all can add an amazingly fresh flavor to the dish.
With this particular recipe we will use fresh thyme.
You only need 6 simple ingredients to make this easy potato recipe:
potatoes, whole and minced garlic, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
How to Make Garlic Butter Potatoes
This recipe requires that you boil the potatoes before roasting them, but you can completely skip this step if you choose to cook the potatoes in a pan over the stove—especially if you do not have an oven-proof skillet.
If you decide to do so, do not cover your pan so that the potatoes do not turn mushy.
Wash and cut your potatoes into 4 pieces each, roughly 1/2 an inch thick. This will insure even cooking.
In a pan, bring water to a boil, place the potatoes with 1 teaspoon of salt and simmer for 7 – 10 minutes. The water should cover the potatoes when simmering.
Drain potatoes and set aside for a few minutes to dry thoroughly.
Preheat oven to 400F. In an oven-proof skillet, placed on medium-high heat, melt the butter with oil.
Cook the minced garlic and whole cloves for 2 minutes and then add the boiled potatoes and fresh thyme.
Move the pan around to fully coat the potatoes with butter, olive oil and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until the potatoes start to crisp on the sides.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the potatoes for 10 – 15 minutes.
Serve the potatoes warm with fresh thyme, freshly ground pepper and salt to taste. Add some chili flakes for a kick of heat.
What to Have with Garlic Butter Potatoes
Garlic Butter Potatoes is great with:
- Grilled Chicken (Check this recipe http://gusscooks.com/dinner/garlic-honey-chicken/)
- Any Kind of Fish
- A Good Steak
- Fried Eggs Breakfast
- 1 1/2 lb baby potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh or dried (or rosemary)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, optional
- Cut the potatoes into half inch pieces. In a pan, bring water to a boil, place the potatoes with 1 teaspoon of salt and simmer for 7 - 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and set aside for a few minutes to dry thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 400F. In an oven-proof skillet, placed on medium-high heat, melt the butter with oil. Cook the minced garlic and cloves for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and fresh thyme and move the pan around to fully coat the potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or until they become crispy on the sides.
- Transfer skillet to oven and roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh thyme and chili flakes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 633mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g