This easy to make Blueberry Mascarpone Risotto is creamy, sweet, and full of flavor. You can make this risotto recipe in less than 30 minutes.
When my friend Ilaria told me about blueberry risotto I was a bit reluctant because I did not think rice with blueberries is a good combination, especially in a hot dish. I was totally wrong! This combination really works, and it is actually perfect.
This risotto with blueberry juice, Mascarpone and Parmesan cheese is simply magic.
This recipe is called “Risotto ai mirtilli e taleggio” in Italian which literary means Risotto with blueberry and cheese, a match made in heaven.
I replaced Taleggio cheese with Mascarpone and added some Parmesan to give the dish a bit of depth and richness. You can also try using Gorgonzola if you like strong flavor cheese.
To make this delicious Risotto recipe you need fresh or frozen blueberries, chopped yellow onion, butter, medium–grain rice, vegetable stock and cheese.
I used a mix of Mascarpone cheese and Parmesan cheese for depth and creaminess.
How to Make Blueberry Mascarpone Risotto
Place the blueberries in a blender and run for a couple of minutes. Strain the juice through a sieve by pressing the blueberries down with rubber spatula to squeeze it all out. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the onions until translucent. Add the rice and toast for 3–5 minutes. Pour vegetable stock, blueberry juice and salt over the rice and bring to a boil. Simmer until the water has evaporated and the rice is cooked (about 10 minutes). Add Mascarpone and Parmesan cheese and stir to combine then turn off the heat.
Garnish your dish with few fresh blueberries and serve warm with some extra shaved Parmesan on top.
What to Have with this Risotto
This Risotto is great served on its own with some extra fresh blueberries on the side.
I also tried making this dish with Brie cheese and it worked really well. You can try it with Philadelphia or any other type of cream cheese you like.
You may also choose vegan cheese should you wish to turn this dish completely vegan.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen works)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup medium–grain rice (Arborio or Carnaroli)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- 4oz mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- a handful of blueberries for decoration
- Place the blueberries in a blender and run for a couple of minutes. Strain the juice through a sieve by pressing the blueberries down with rubber spatula to squeeze it all out. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt butter and cook the onions until translucent. Add the rice and toast for 3–5 minutes. Pour vegetable stock, blueberry juice and salt over rice and bring to a boil. Simmer until the water has evaporated and the rice is cooked (about 10 minutes). Add mascarpone and parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Turn off heat.
- Garnish with few fresh blueberries on top and serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 875mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 7g