The best Homemade Pumpkin Pie recipe made with a flaky crust, smooth pumpkin filling, and topped with a rich layer of whipped cream.
Pumpkin pie is a must have during Thanksgiving, but many, including myself, bake these warm, spicy and addictive pies throughout the festive season.
There are so many good pumpkin pie recipes out there, and I have tried many of them. So far, this is the easiest recipe and most practical.
I used store bought tart shells—you can totally make your own—but worked on the filling from scratch.
The combination of pumpkin puree with brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon in the pie filling is so good for it feels, smells and tastes like a holiday every time I bake it. The whole house fills with the spicy aroma that brings warmth and happiness to everyone around.
All you have to do is whisk all the filling ingredients together, fill up the pie shells and bake the best pies ever!
Tips For The Best Pie
- Whether you use store–bought or homemade pie crust, pre–bake it for 15 minutes before you add the filling.
- After baking the crust, let it cool thoroughly so that it stays crusty as long as possible. Adding the filling when the crust is still hot, makes it soggy.
- For extra golden brown color on the sides, use some egg wash before pre–baking the crust.
- Some recipes use white sugar only though, adding brown sugar gives the pie a delicious caramel flavor.
- You can increase the amount of spices you are using to get a more intense flavor.
- I tried evaporated milk instead of heavy cream and found that heavy cream gives the pie a rich and creamy texture.
This recipe calls for a few simple ingredients:
For the pie crust, I use two store–bought Pie shells, Marie Callender, which come in one package.
For the filling, I use a can of organic pumpkin puree, eggs, heavy cream, brown sugar, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, ginger powder, nutmeg, all spice and salt.
For the whipped cream, I use 1 cup whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
How To Make The Pumpkin Pie
The crust: Preheat oven to 400F. Thaw the shells for 10 minutes at room temperature. After that, prick bottom and sides with a fork. Then, bake the shells in 2 baking pans for 12–15 minutes. Remove them from the oven and set them aside to cool.
The filling: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with sugar and then add all the spices. Add the pumpkin puree and heavy cream, then whisk them well until they have incorporated.
The baking: Divide the filling mixture unto the pie crusts and return them to the oven. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 350F and bake for 30—35 minutes. Remove the pies from the oven and let them cool completely.
The serving: Cut the pie to desired slices and add a dollop of whipped cream on top. Sprinkle some pumpkin spice over and serve.
how to make whipped cream
In a chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
You may also like these pumpkin recipes:
For the filling
- 1 can 15oz (425g) Pumpkin Puree
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon all–spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the pie shell
- 2 ready–made store bought pie shells
- Preheat oven to 400F. Thaw the shells for 10 minutes at room temperature. Prick bottom and sides with a fork and bake in 2 baking pans for 12–15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with sugar. Then add the spices, the pumpkin puree and heavy cream and whisk them well until they have incorporated.
- Divide the filling mixture unto the pie crusts and return them to the oven. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 350F and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the pies from the oven and let them cool completely.
- Once the pies are baked, remove them from the oven. Let them cool down completely before you decorate them with cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
— DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? —
Tag @gusscooks on Instagram