Sugared Cranberries—this sweet and tart Sugared Cranberries recipe requires four ingredients; cranberries, water, sugar and orange juice. Ideal for cake decorating and snacking.
These festive and colorful sugared cranberries are ideal for the holiday season. They are a must to have on every holiday table, for they taste and look great on cakes, tarts and other desserts.
They are made with only four ingredients and take little time to put together. The whole idea is to soak the cranberries in a simple syrup, drain and then coat them with white sugar.
You only need four ingredients: fresh cranberries, sugar, water and orange juice.
how to make sugared cranberries
Start by making a simple syrup (also known as sugar syrup).
In a sauce pan on medium heat, combine equal parts of sugar and water and bring to a simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. Do not stir! As water boils it dissolves the sugar. Add orange juice and turn off the heat.
Mix in the cranberries and let them soak for 10 minutes. Remove from the syrup and place the cranberries on a wire rack to dry for at least 20 minutes.
Once dried, the cranberries will remain sticky, start rolling them in batches in sugar until fully coated.
Chill the sugared cranberries for for 10 – 15 minutes before using.
what to use sugared cranberries for
Sugared cranberries are great for decorating cakes. The sugar crystals look like frosted ice and they not only look great but also complement the taste of many desserts. They are sweet, tart and juicy at the same time.
They can also be a great healthy snack, as long as you take it easy with the sugar coating!
Fresh or frozen cranberries
I used fresh cranberries for this recipe. Fresh ones are easier to work with and they are available in all stores during the festive season.
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- In a sauce pan on medium heat, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. Do not stir! As water boils it dissolves the sugar. Add orange juice and turn off the heat.
- Mix in the cranberries and let them soak for 10 minutes. Remove from the syrup and place on wire rack to dry for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll in remaining sugar few at a time until well coated. Chill for 10 minutes before using.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 4gSugar: 56gProtein: 1g