This Beef Meatballs with Herbs and Spices recipe is loaded with bold flavors and takes very little time to prepare. Cooked with fresh parsley, thyme, onions, coriander and cumin, this easy meatballs recipe is so moist and delicious yet very easy to make.
This recipe is my rendition of the iconic Middle Eastern classic Kafta dish.
Meatballs is a popular dish in many Middle Eastern countries and every region has its own interpretation using a combination of different spices, herbs and sauces, but they all emit from the classic Kafta recipe which uses a few ingredients and the end result is a dish loaded with bold flavors using clean and healthy ingredients.
Cooking meatballs might sound like a weekend project; however, this is a rather easy dish to make, and you can use this meatballs recipe as a template for any other meatballs dishes you wish to prepare in the future.
What Are the Ingredients of Beef Meatballs with Herbs and Spices
As all recipes, Beef and Herbs Meatballs depends on the best ingredients available. The better the meat, the better the taste. I often choose 85% lean ground beef meat with 15% fat, which keeps the meat moist and adds flavor and richness to the dish.
Another thing to consider is the ratio of spices and herbs used. I like a good balance of both to avoid one overpowering the other.
To prepare Beef and Herbs Meatballs you will need: ground beef, onions, red bell pepper, flat parsley, fresh thyme and spices (cumin, coriander, all spice, cinnamon, salt and pepper).
How to Make Beef Meatballs with Herbs and Spices
In a large mixing bowl, place your ground beef and set aside.
Clean and remove the stems of your parsley and the fresh thyme and put them in a food processor. Add the coarsely chopped red bell-pepper and onions.
Pulse together until very small then add to the mixing bowl over the meat. Add the spices and mix all the ingredients until they are well incorporated; with your hand, shape the mixture into even size balls, or use an ice cream scoop to make around 24 balls.
Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat, add 1 table spoon of olive oil and cook the meatballs, giving the pan a gentle toss every minute or two until they are brown on all sides.
What to Serve Beef Meatballs with Herbs and Spices with
The options are almost endless when it comes to what to serve with meatballs, but my absolute favorite is to have it with nice warm pita bread spread with a generous spoonful of homemade Hummus and a nice freshly made Tabbouleh salad on the side.
Another great addition to this basic recipe is Tahini Sauce which will take the taste to a completely different level.
- 1 1/2lb fresh beef, ground
- 1/3 cup fresh flat parsley
- 1/3 cup white onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup red-bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon all-spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Clean and remove the stems of your parsley and the fresh thyme and put them in a food processor along with the red bell-pepper and the onions.
- Pulse together until very small then add to the mixing bowl with the meat. Add all spices. Mix well to combine.
- With an ice-cream scoop, form meat balls and place on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat, add 1 table spoon of olive oil and cook the meatballs, giving the pan a gentle toss every minute or two until they are brown on all sides.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g