The healthiest combination of green, red and orange colors in a fresh nutritious salad bowl, this Beet Arugula Salad recipe is so easy to make and so good to have as a fulfilling fresh meal or a side dish.
Beetroot is abundant in Levantine recipes and is widely used for its nutritious benefits. It is a staple ingredient of the Mediterranean diet and I remember in cold winter days my mom would boil beets and serve them warm as a sweet healthy snack for us to enjoy.
This Beet Arugula Salad is a favorite of mine for its sweet, citrusy and nutty flavors. You can make this salad with baby spinach or any greens of your choice. I like Arugula for its fresh and peppery taste.
This salad offers different textures with every mouthful! The moist tender beets, the soft feta cheese, the crisp arugula and crunchy walnuts make this salad great to eat at any time.
To make this Beet Arugula Salad you will need red and orange beets, arugula, peeled and segmented mandarin, feta cheese and walnuts.
To prepare the citrusy dressing you will need lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, chopped fresh dill, garlic, honey, salt and pepper.
How to Prepare Beet Arugula Salad
If you are using fresh beets, wash them well and remove the stems and leaves. Cut beets in halves and place them in a saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil, then cook for 20–30 minutes until tender. Drain and cool, then cut into cubes.
If you are using precooked beets, cut the beets into 1/2″ cubes. Place your arugula in a large salad bowl; add the beets, mandarins and walnuts. Mix together and crumble the feta cheese on top.
In a small mixing bowl add the lemon juice, olive oil, chopped dill, minced garlic, honey, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
What to Serve with Beet Arugula Salad
This Beet Arugula Salad can be enjoyed as a fulfilling, healthy and fresh meal on its own.
You can add a grilled breast of chicken on the side and turn it into a main course.
- 2 red, 2 orange medium beets, washed, trimmed and halved
- 1 (10oz) package arugula (about 300g)
- 1 peeled mandarin, segmented
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2oz feta cheese (4 tablespoons)
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dill, freshly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place beets in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil, then cook for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain and cool, then cut into cubes.
- Place your arugula in a large salad bowl and add the beets, mandarin and walnuts. Mix together and crumble the feta cheese on top.
- In a small mixing bowl add the lemon juice, olive oil, chopped dill, minced garlic, honey, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 431mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 20gProtein: 8g