Beet Arugula Salad—made with Feta cheese, walnuts and a tangy citrus dressing, this Beet Arugula Salad recipe is very nutritious and so easy to make.
Beetroot is abundant in Levantine recipes and is widely used for its nutritious benefits. It is a staple ingredient of the Mediterranean diet. I remember in cold winter days my mom would boil beets and serve them warm as a sweet healthy snack for us to enjoy.
Nowadays, Beets are incorporated in salads, foods and all kinds of recipes.
This Beet Arugula Salad is a favorite of mine for its sweet, citrus and nutty flavors. You can make this salad with baby spinach or any greens of your choice. I like Arugula for its fresh and peppery taste.
This salad offers different textures with every mouthful! The crisp arugula leaves and moist tender beets with soft feta cheese melt in your mouth. I add walnuts for extra crunch and for their tremendous health benefits.
To make this Beet Arugula Salad you will need beets (I mixed red and orange), arugula, peeled and segmented mandarin. You will also need, feta cheese and walnuts as toppings
To prepare the Citrus Dressing you will need lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, chopped fresh dill, garlic, honey, and seasoning.
How to cook fresh raw Beets
First, start by washing the beets well and removing the stems and leaves then cut them in halves and place them in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
Cook the beets for 20–30 minutes until tender. Remove from heat, drain and then cut into desired size
You can also use precooked beets. They are available in most grocery stores and supermarkets. I like the organic ones because of their sweet taste!
how to make Beet Arugula Salad
Cut the beets into 1/2″ cubes. Place your arugula in a large salad bowl and then add the beets, mandarins and walnuts. Mix together and crumble the feta cheese on top.
To make the dressing
In a small mixing bowl combine the lemon juice, olive oil, chopped dill, minced garlic and honey. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
What to Serve with Beet Arugula Salad
This salad can be enjoyed as a healthy and fulfilling meal on its own.
You can also add a grilled breast of chicken or salmon on the side and turn it into a main course.
- 2 red, 2 orange medium beets, washed, trimmed and halved
- 1 (10oz) package arugula (about 300g)
- 1 peeled mandarin, segmented
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2oz feta cheese (4 tablespoons)
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dill, freshly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place beets in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil, then cook for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain and cool, then cut into cubes.
- Place your arugula in a large salad bowl and add the beets, mandarin and walnuts. Mix together and crumble the feta cheese on top.
- In a small mixing bowl add the lemon juice, olive oil, chopped dill, minced garlic, honey, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 431mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 20gProtein: 8g