Bûche de Noel—heavenly chocolate cake rolled with chocolate cream and covered with ganache and berries. This chocolate cake recipe is perfect for Christmas.
Bûche de Noel is the French name for Christmas cake which is shaped like a log. It is a holiday classic in France and here in America we call it Yule Log.
I like this cake recipe because it is an easy way to make an impressive and extremely festive cake without the need for any fancy techniques or decorating skills.
This cake is also made completely from scratch and does not require any special ingredients or tools to make. You will certainly look like a professional baker, and I am sure you will impress your friends and family making it. Just follow my four easy steps to make this amazing cake.
how to make buche de noel
This festive cake is made with a simple sponge, filled with Mascarpone and chocolate cream, and rolled to make a log shape. It is then covered with a layer of chocolate frosting or ganache and decorated with fresh berries, few sprigs of rosemary and dusted with powder sugar.
Follow these three simple steps to make this amazing cake:
1- Bake a simple sponge cake and for that you will need eggs, sugar, flour and pure vanilla extract.
2- Make ganache and cream cheese filling with semi–sweet chocolate, heavy cream, Mascarpone cheese and vanilla extract.
3- Decorate your cake with fresh berries, rosemary and powdered sugar.
Tips for a successful Yule Log
Here are some tips and recommendations for a stress–free and successful cake:
1- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. While the sponge cake does not require any butter, oil or any kind of fat, it is important to have the eggs at room temperature so that the yolks whisk better with the sugar and the whites double in volume when whipped.
3- Do not over mix the cake batter. Also, use the right baking sheet size when baking it.
4- Cover the cake with a plastic wrap or dry towel as it comes from the oven, so it stays moist and rolls easily.
2- Prepare the ganache and cream cheese filling in advance so that they chill while the cake is baking.
4- Use the best chocolate you can get when making this cake. It makes all the difference. I really like Lindt 70% dark chocolate. You can use whatever you like.
5- Cut the cake before covering with frosting to avoid unwanted mess!
This cake can be the centerpiece of your festive table. It is so nice to look at and extremely delicious to eat!
Check out my other festive recipes:
for the cake
- 5 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (68g) all–purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder, unsweetened
for the ganache Mascarpone filling
- 12oz (400g) semis–sweet chocolate bar, cut to pieces
- 2 cups (480ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (120g) Mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of mixed berries
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- a dusting of icing sugar
Preparing the sponge
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and line a 13 x 9" baking pan with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls. Add 3/4 cup (150g) sugar and 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract to the egg yolks, and whisk until they double in volume. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with wire attachment, whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks, add 1/4 cup sugar and whisk again until glossy peaks are formed.
- Fold the flour into yolk mixture, and then gradually fold in stiff egg whites until smooth but still fluffy. Do not over mix.
- Spread the batter on prepared baking sheet and level it using a pallet knife. Bake for 10–12 minutes, remove from oven and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside.
Preparing the ganache Mascarpone filling
- While the cake is baking, heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to simmer; be careful not to allow cream to boil over. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let them stand for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and whisk until you get a glossy smooth mixture.
- Divide the ganache mixture in half. Set one aside and add Mascarpone cheese to the other half. Whisk until you have a creamy mixture. Chill in fridge while you work on your cake.
Assembling the cake
- Spread the Ganache Mascarpone Filling over the cake and even it out using a palette knife.
- Using the cake parchment paper, roll up the Yule Log tightly, starting with long side. Slice off a piece to make a branch, remove the paper and place the cake on serving plate with the branch at an angle to the log.
- Cover the cake with ganache and use a fork to create bark effect. Place in fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
- Decorate with berries, rosemary and dust with icing sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g