An epic and indulging Carrot Cake recipe that will become your all time favorite. The cake is super moist, filled with butter cream cheese and loaded with raisins and walnuts for extra texture and crunch.
This is certainly a recipe you make to treat yourself and everyone around you with an indulging, mouthwatering, creamy and rich yet light and moist cake.
It is the perfect heart warming dessert for a memorable afternoon with family or friends, baked with carrots, walnuts and raisins and covered with delicious cream cheese and honey.
I have tried many carrot cake recipes and after sometime I perfected my own. This cake is very easy to make; I have tried it many times, and I always get the best result. It is light, very moist and the cream cheese frosting gives it richness and balance.
I do not like to use much sugar in my recipes, even in desserts. I think a reasonable amount of sugar gives the best result especially when you add frosting.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe: eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, flour, leavening agent, cinnamon, carrots, walnuts, raisins, cream cheese, honey or confectionery sugar.
How to Make Epic Carrot Cake
Preheat your oven to 350F (180C) and line an 8-inch round cake tin with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer fitted with wire attachment, whisk together the eggs, sugar and oil. Add pure vanilla extract and beat for about 5 minutes until you get a smooth pale yellow mixture.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and fold gently using the paddle attachment or a rubber spatula. Do not over mix so that the cake stays airy and moist.
Fold in the grated carrots and then add the chopped walnuts and raisins.
Pour the cake mixture in an 8-inch round pan and bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
how to make butter cream cheese frosting
While the cake is baking, whisk together the cream cheese and butter until a soft peak forms. Add the honey or any sweetener of choice (confectionery sugar works too) and a few drops of pure vanilla extract. Chill while the cake is cooling
Assembling the cake
Once the cake is completely cooled, cut in half and spread half of the butter cream cheese frosting on the base layer; gently cover with the second layer and spread the rest of the frosting on top.
Decorate your cake with chopped walnuts or pecans. I recommend placing the cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
What to Have with Carrot Cake
Carrot Cake is great with:
- A Cup of Cappuccino or black Coffee
- A Cup of Tea
- A Slice of Pineapple
For the Cake
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
For the butter cream cheese frosting
- 2 cups cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons honey or blue agave syrup
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a stand mixer fitted with wire attachment, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and add to the egg mixture. Mix using paddle attachment or by hand using a rubber spatula.
- Fold in your carrots, mixing gently; then throw in the chopped walnuts and raisins.
- Pour the cake mixture in an 8-inch round pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For the butter cream cheese frosting:
- In a stand mixer with wire whisk attached, whisk together the cream cheese and butter until a soft peak forms.
- Add the honey or 1/2 cup confectionery sugar and mix well.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool completely, cut in half and spread half the cream frosting on the base layer. Cover with top layer, and spread the remaining frosting on top. Chill for 30 minutes and serve.
The additional mentioned time includes cake cooking and adding the frosting.
You can replace vegetable oil with canola or corn oil.
You can use Mascarpone cheese for the frosting too.
Confectionery sugar works fine if you do not wish to use honey in the frosting.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 934Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 181mgSodium: 799mgCarbohydrates: 93gFiber: 5gSugar: 59gProtein: 13g