Mozzarella Cheese Sticks – crispy cheese sticks coated with seasoned bread crumbs and fried to golden perfection. Served with warm Marinara sauce.
This delicious appetizer is one of my kids’ all time favorite!
Golden crispy Mozzarella cheese sticks oozing with goodness, and served with warm Marinara sauce on the side.
I usually make this dish on weekends or on movie nights for everyone to snack on.
The idea of making fried cheese sticks at home might sound a bit intimidating and quite messy, but this recipe is really easy to follow and takes literary 20 minutes or less to prepare.
I personally prefer to avoid fried foods, but every now and then I do make an exception! You can totally bake the cheese sticks or have them prepared in the air–fryer. Check my friend at Rasa Malaysia for a baked variation of this recipe.
This delicious appetizer is made with 5 simple ingredients:
- Mozzarella sticks
- all–purpose flour
- one egg
- bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning and some garlic powder
How To Make Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
Preparing the coat: Prepare 3 shallow bowls. Place flour in one bowl. Whisk eggs and 1 tablespoon of water in another bowl. In the third bowl, combine bread crumbs with Italian seasoning, some salt and garlic powder.
Coating the Mozzarella sticks: Coat each piece of cheese with flour. Dip in egg mixture letting excess drip back in the bowl, then roll in bread mixture to coat on all sides. Dip again in egg mixture, then in bread mixture. Refrigerate the sticks until you are ready to fry.
Frying the Mozzarella Sticks: Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add cheese sticks in small batches and cook for 1 minute or until golden brown. Remove from heat and drain on wire rack.
Finally, serve with warm Marinara or pizza sauce on the side. I used Rao’s All Natural Marianna sauce.
Tips For The Best Mozzarella Sticks
- For a crispier shell, coat all the Mozzarella in egg and bread mixtures, and then repeat this step again for a thicker coat.
- Oil temperature has to be above 350F when you start frying. Make sure to maintain that heat throughout the cooking process.
- Fry the cheese in batches and do not overcrowd the pan otherwise they will stick to each other.
- You can make a large batch and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months in an airtight container.
Here are some other easy and delicious appetizers for you to try:
- 1/2 cup all–purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 cheese sticks, (1 package, 12 ounces)
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup marinara sauce, heated
- Prepare 3 shallow bowls. Place flour in one bowl. Whisk eggs and water in another bowl. In the third bowl, combine bread crumbs with seasoning, salt and garlic powder.
- Coat each piece of cheese with flour. Dip in egg mixture then roll in bread mixture to coat on all sides. Dip again in egg mixture then in bread mixture. Refrigerate until ready to fry.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add cheese sticks in batches and cook for 1 minute or until golden brown. Drain on wire rack.
- Serve with warm Marinara sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 1303mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 27g