The best and easiest Bruschetta recipe made with fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil on toasted slices of bread, all drenched with extra virgin olive oil.
This classic Italian appetizer is fresh and filling, and probably the first thing you order at an Italian restaurant!
My Bruschetta recipe is super easy to make and it is ideal for family gatherings or a quick starter before dinner. Simply make the tomato, garlic and basil mixture ahead of time and scoop it over toasted sliced bread when you are ready to serve.
I use fresh Roma tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil from my garden and lots of good extra virgin olive oil. Come to think of it, this sounds like summer on a toasted slice of bread!
Some recipes call for cheese on top, I prefer to make this dairy free but it is totally your choice.
In short, you can add whatever you like and you will still end up with a great tasting starter or snack.
- Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Italian bread (or french baguette)
Make sure all your ingredients are fresh and use good quality olive oil.
How To Make Bruschetta
Preparing the vegetable mix: Combine freshly chopped tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl; mix well. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 1 hour to blend flavors.
Toasting the bread slices: Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Slice the bread and brush with olive oil on both sides, then arrange the slices on a baking sheet and bake to 6–8 minutes or until toasted.
Building the bruschetta: While the bread slices are still hot, top each with 1 tablespoon of tomato mixture and serve immediately.
Try some of my other inspired Italian dishes;
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices Italian bread (or baguette)
- Combine freshly chopped tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl; mix well. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour to blend flavors.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Slice the bread and brush with olive oil on both sides, arrange on baking sheet and bake to 6–8 minutes or until toasted.
- Top each bread slice with 1 tablespoon of tomato mixture
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 99Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g