Red Lentil Soup—One-pot vegan Red Lentil Soup made with carrots, potatoes, cumin and turmeric. This healthy Lentil Soup recipe is perfect for cold and rainy days.
This is my most favorite soup of all times and I can have it for lunch and dinner at any day. Because it is a staple food through the Middle East, you find it on most Middle-Eastern restaurant menus.
Lentil soup has many variations. This recipe is the one I grew up having.
Personally, Lentil Soup reminds me of home and the warmth of my mom’s kitchen. She used to make it all the time, especially on cold winter days and I remember her saying lentil soup warms the heart.
Nowadays, my wife and I follow my mom’s recipe and make for our children the same delicious and healthy soup we grew up eating.
To make this heartwarming Lentil Soup you need few simple ingredients; red lentil, olive oil, chopped onion, diced potato, diced carrot, water, salt, pepper, cumin and turmeric.
How To Make Lentil Soup
In a deep pot, heat the olive oil and sweat the onion, carrot and potato together for 5 minutes on until the onion is translucent.
Add the lentil and the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let simmer until the lentil is fully cooked, around 40 – 45 minutes.
Uncover the pot and blend the soup with a hand–held mixer or in the blender until you get a creamy texture. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and turmeric. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally to avoid any sticking on the bottom.
Turn off heat and Serve.
Serve garnished with chopped parsley, lemon wedge and some pita chips or crouton.
Check out my other similar heartwarming soup recipes:
This Red Lentil Soup is served warm as a meal on its own.
You can enjoy it with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a slice of baguette. Try it with pita chips or croutons too.
- 1 yellow onion, medium, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 potato, medium, peeled and cubed (Golden or any potato)
- 2 carrots, medium, diced
- 2 cups red lentil, washed and rained
- 8 - 10 cups of water (about 2 liters)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of freshly chopped parsley, for garnishing
- In a pot, heat the olive oil and sweat the onion, potato and carrot together for 4–6 minutes on until the onion is translucent.
- Add the lentil and water, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let simmer until the lentil is fully cooked, around 40 - 45 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and blend the soup with a hand–held mixer or in the blender until you get a creamy texture. Season with salt, pepper, turmeric and cumin. Bring to boil then let simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally to avoid sticking to bottom. Turn off heat.
- Serve in soup bowl garnished with freshly chopped parsley a squeeze of lemon and some pita chips or crouton.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
— DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? —
Tag @gusscooks on Instagram