A hearty Lentil and Vegetable Soup recipe that is so delicious and greatly satisfying, this healthy and fresh soup is the ideal vegan meal.
Lintels are always good to have in stock because you can turn them into salads and soups in no time. This hearty warm autumn dish brings fond memories of cool autumn days back in Beirut where my mom used to make different soups with lintels. This recipe is my favorite by far.
This Lentil and Vegetable soup is thick, chunky and tastes more like a stew. It is perfect for a healthy, vegan, rich in vegetables and proteins, lunch or even dinner.
You will need the freshest ingredients for this recipe: onions, olive oil, celery, carrots, fresh tomatoes, garlic, tomato sauce, vegetable stock, turmeric, cumin, salt, ground pepper, green lentils and some chopped parsley.
This soup will need a large stockpot or pan as it will yield about 6 – 7 cups.
How to Cook Lentil and vegetable Soup
Start by chopping all the vegetables and set them aside.
In a large pot on medium heat, sweat the onions with olive oil until translucent. Add celery, carrots and garlic, cook for 5 minutes then add the chopped tomatoes, lentils, tomato sauce, vegetable stock and all the spices.
Cover the pot and let simmer on low heat for 30 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are fully cooked.
You can substitute vegetable stock with water if you like.
Serve warm in a soup bowl and garnish with parsley.
What to Have with Lintel and vegetable Soup
Lintel and Vegetable Soup is a satisfying dish to have on its own or enjoyed with a slice of fresh or toasted baguette or sourdough.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped,
- 1 cup carrots, chopped,
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green lentils, washed
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 5 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnishing
- In a large pot on medium heat, sweat the onions with olive oil until translucent. Add celery, carrots and garlic; cook for 5 minutes then add chopped tomatoes, lentils, tomato sauce, vegetable stock and all the spices.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are fully cooked.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve in a soup bowl and garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1690mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g