Carrot Orange Ginger Soup—healthy vegan soup ideal for winter cold days. Made with four simple ingredients and takes little time to prepare.
This easy carrot soup recipe is the perfect meal on cold and rainy winter days. It is sweet and tangy and loaded with vitamins and anti–oxidants. It will certainly be on top of your vegan–soups–to–make list.
I like easy–to–prepare healthy meals, especially those that are vegetable based, to compensate for all the cakes and desserts that I make and feel a bit guilty after indulging myself! So, I try to keep a balance when possible.
Carrot soup is probably one of the easiest soups you will ever prepare. Made with four simple ingredients: carrots, orange zest and juice, fresh ginger and some onions.
The carrots cook together with onions, ginger and orange zest to produce an aromatic flavorsome soup that the whole family will like.
You can season it with just salt and pepper or add your choice of any other seasoning. Sometimes, I like to add turmeric which complements the flavor and adds a lot of benefits, boosting the immune system.
Finally, some people like to add herbs and cream. I am not adding any to this particular recipe as I want to taste the carrots most.
how to make carrot soup
This carrot orange ginger soup takes 30 minutes from start to finish and can be prepared in advance. You can store it in the fridge for a few days too and heat it up when needed.
Start by sweating your chopped onions with fresh ginger in some olive oil and then add the carrots. Sauté together on low heat for 5 minutes. After that, add orange zest, orange juice and boiling water. You can also add organic low sodium vegetable stock.
Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and fully cooked.
Blend everything using an immersion blender (or in batches in a regular blender) until smooth.
Bring soup back to a boil, adjusting salt and pepper to your taste.
You may add coconut cream and some chopped parsley or chives to garnish or serve as is for a healthy wholesome soup.
This soup is great to serve warm for lunch or dinner. You can have it as a meal on its own or as a starter with your favorite salad or protein based dish.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1.5lb carrots, cut to pieces (4 cups, 680g)
- zest and juice of one orange
- 5 cups water, or vegetable stock (about 1.2l)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan on medium heat, sweat your chopped onions with fresh ginger in olive oil; then add the carrots. Sauté together on low heat for 5 minutes and then add orange zest, orange juice and boiling water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and fully cooked.
- Blend everything using an immersion blender (or in batches in a regular blender) until smooth. Bring soup back to a boil, adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 389mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g