Chocolate Blueberry Cake—moist and fudgy Chocolate Cake topped with homemade blueberry sauce and dark chocolate shavings. This luscious and truly easy to make chocolate cake recipe is the perfect dessert for any family occasion.
This tender chocolate cake gets its deep and rich chocolate flavor from an abundance of Dutch-processed cocoa powder and a generous addition of chocolate morsels to the batter.
Drenched with chocolate syrup while hot and topped with dark chocolate shavings just before slicing, this is literally chocolate cake heaven!
I love this cake with my coffee at anytime of the day or with some fresh strawberries and cream on the side for an afternoon family gathering in the backyard.
For this delicious cake you will need all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, Dutch-processed cocoa powder, caster sugar, butter, eggs, pure vanilla extract, sour cream, boiling water and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
For the chocolate syrup you will need cocoa powder, water, caster sugar and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Follow this recipe for my homemade blueberry sauce. You may also use any kind of store-bought blueberry sauce or jam.
How to Make Chocolate Cake
Making the Cake:
Preheat Oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8–inch bundt pan.
In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder. Set aside while you work on your wet ingredients.
In a stand mixer, with paddle attachment attached, mix butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time then the vanilla.
With mixer on slow add the dry ingredients and then the sour cream. Mix until just combined. Add boiling water.
The batter will be runny and that is what makes the cake moist and soft. Mix for 1 minute then add your chocolate chips. Transfer to prepared pan and bake for 40–45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool in pan on wire rack.
While the cake is baking, work on your chocolate syrup.
Making the Chocolate Syrup:
In a saucepan dissolve 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder in 1/2 cup of water. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer —do not stir—until water evaporates and syrup thickens a bit, about 5–7 minutes. Add chocolate chips and whisk to get a glossy shiny syrup.
Serving the Cake:
With a toothpick or fork, and while it is still warm in the pan, pierce the cake making small holes on top and drench it with the chocolate syrup.
Let the cake cool completely then cover with chocolate shavings and drizzle blueberry sauce on top. Serve and enjoy.
What to Have with Chocolate Cake
I love to have this Chocolate Blueberry Cake with a nice freshly prepared cup of espresso or black coffee.
You can also try it with vanilla or pistachio ice cream.
For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (220g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder (50g)
- 1 cup caster sugar (200g)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temperature (3/4 cup or 175g)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream (80ml)
- 1/2 cup water, boiling(120ml)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (175g)
For the chocolate syrup:
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water (120ml)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar (100g)
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips.
For the blueberry sauce
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (frozen work too)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the topping:
- 4oz dark chocolate shavings (you can use milk chocolate too)
- 1/4 cup homemade blueberry sauce (or any sauce of your choice)
Making the Cake
- Preheat Oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8–inch bundt pan.
- In a mixing bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, with paddle attachment attached, mix butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time then vanilla.
- With mixer on slow add the dry ingredients and sour cream. Mix until just combined. Add boiling water. Batter will be runny. Mix for 1 minute then add your chocolate chips. Transfer to prepared pan and bake for 40–45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan on wire rack.
Making the Chocolate Syrup
In a saucepan dissolve 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder in 1/2 cup of water. Add 1/2 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer —do not stir—until water evaporates and syrup thickens a bit, about 5–6 minutes. Add chocolate chips and whisk to dissolve completely.
Making the Blueberry Sauce
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and water. Stir gently and bring to a boil.
In a small cup mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and add to the blueberries. Simmer gently until thick. This takes 3–4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Turn off the heat and let cool before serving.
Serving the Cake
While cake is cooling, use a toothpick to make holes and drench it with chocolate sauce. Let cool completely then cover with chocolate shavings. Drizzle blueberry sauce on top and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g
— DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? —
Tag @gusscooks on Instagram