This Easy Butter Chicken recipe has a rich and creamy tomato butter sauce. It is aromatic, flavorsome and extremely delicious. Have it with rice or Indian naan bread.
Where do I begin to write about my fascination with Indian cuisine! The colors, spices, flavors, or the endless varieties of mouthwatering, indulging dishes that are unique to each region in India.
I have been to India once; however, I hope to go back again and spend more time in that truly mesmerizing place.
The first time I tried Indian food was in Dubai probably about 20–odd years ago and that one single time was what it took to get me hooked.
If you are into spicy food, Indian cuisine will definitely satisfy your cravings. Thus, if you are more like me on the mild side, Indian cuisine can and will satisfy your cravings too because, simply put, there is something for everyone in it.
This dish is called Butter Chicken or Murg Makhani, original name in Hindi. It is made with chicken pieces cooked in a spicy–buttery curry gravy with some cream to add richness to the dish and balance the heat from spices.
Butter Chicken is so flavorsome and rich that it will surely be on you favorite–dishes–to–eat list. In addition, it doesn’t require much time to prepare, and the aromas coming out of the spices will make you want to eat it directly from the pan.
You need the following fresh ingredients and spices for this recipe:
Chicken: boneless, skinless breasts
Spices: salt, pepper, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and garam masala
Greek Yogurt: to help tenderize the chicken
Vegetables: yellow onion, ginger, garlic and fresh cilantro
Sauce: tomato sauce, chicken broth or water and heavy cream
How to Make Butter Chicken
Start by cutting your skinless, boneless chicken breasts into 1–inch cubes. Place them in a bowl and season with salt and pepper and then add all the spices: chili powder, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika and one teaspoon of garam–masala. Make sure to coat the chicken form all sides. Add in the yogurt, mix well and marinade for at least 10 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, melt two tablespoons of butter in a large pan and cook the onions until translucent. After that, add the a teaspoon of garam–masala and cook until fragrant.
Add the chicken cubes and cook for 5–7 minutes and then stir in grated ginger and garlic and add the tomato sauce. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour in the chicken broth (or water) and the cream and let simmer again for another 5 minutes. Last, stir in 2 tablespoons of butter and adjust seasoning to taste.
Remove from heat. Garnish your dish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with white rice on the side and some garlic naan bread.
Here are some other great Indian influenced recipes for you to try:
- 11/2lb chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth (replace with water if not available)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a bowl, season your chicken with salt, pepper, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika and 1 teaspoon of garam–masala. Add yogurt and marinade for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions until translucent; add the remaining teaspoon of garam–masala and cook until fragrant. Add chicken and cook for 5–7 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes and then add the chicken broth and cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the last 2 tablespoons of butter and season to taste.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 667mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g