This Easy Butter Chicken recipe has a rich and creamy tomato butter sauce. It is aromatic, flavorsome and extremely delicious. Have it with rice or Indian naan bread.
Where do I begin to write about my fascination with Indian cuisine! The colors, spices, flavors, or the endless varieties of mouthwatering, indulging dishes that are unique to each region in India.
I have been to India once and I hope to go back again and spend more time in that truly mesmerizing place.
The first time I tried Indian food was in Dubai probably about 20-odd years ago and that one single time was what I needed to get hooked.
If you are into spicy food, Indian cuisine will definitely satisfy your cravings. If you are more like me on the mild side, Indian cuisine can and will satisfy your cravings too because, simply put, there is something for everyone in it.
This dish is called Butter Chicken or Murg Makhani, original name in Hindi. It is made with chicken pieces cooked in a spicy-buttery curry gravy with some cream to add smoothness and richness.
It doesn’t require much time to prepare and it will be a dish cooked regularly in your kitchen. The aromas coming out of the spices will make you want to eat it directly from the pan.
Butter Chicken is so flavorsome and rich that it will surely be on you favorite-dishes-to-eat list.
You need the following ingredients for this recipe: chicken breasts, salt, pepper, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, garam masala, Greek yogurt, butter, a yellow onion, ginger, garlic, tomato sauce, chicken broth or water, heavy cream, and fresh cilantro.
How to Make Butter Chicken
Cut your skinless, boneless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. In a bowl, season your chicken with salt, pepper, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika and 1 teaspoon of garam-masala. Make sure to coat the chicken form all sides. Add the yogurt and marinade for at least 10 minutes.
In a large pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions until translucent; add the remaining teaspoon of garam-masala and cook until fragrant.
Add the chicken cubes and cook for 5 – 7 minutes. Stir in grated ginger and garlic. Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and cream and simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in the last 2 tablespoons of butter and season to taste.
Garnish your dish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with white rice on the side and some garlic naan bread.
What to Have with Butter Chicken
Butter Chicken is great with:
- White Rice
- Naan Bread
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth (replace with water if not available)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a bowl, season your chicken with salt, pepper, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika and 1 teaspoon of garam-masala. Add yogurt and marinade for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions until translucent; add the remaining teaspoon of garam-masala and cook until fragrant. Add chicken and cook for 5 - 7 minutes. Stir in ginger and garlic.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes and then add the chicken broth and cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the last 2 tablespoons butter and season to taste.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 667mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g