Pumpkin Spice Curry—this pumpkin recipe is sweet, spicy and completely vegan. Made with chunks of pumpkin, chickpeas, a medley of aromatic spices and coconut cream.
This warm recipe has fall written all over it with pumpkin being the main ingredient and the star of the dish. It is accompanied by chickpeas (garbanzo beans), onion, garlic, ginger and loads of garam masala and pumpkin spice. I finish it with a generous addition of coconut milk to bring all the flavors together and gives the dish extra richness.
You can tailor your spices to your own taste, adjusting as you like.
My kitchen was filled with the beautiful aromas of curry spices when I was making this dish. The pumpkins are cooked to perfection, not mushy and they absorb the spices nicely. You can add black lentils instead of chickpeas if you prefer.
To make this delicious curry you will need the following main ingredients; pumpkin, chickpeas, onion, garlic, ginger and green chili.
You will also need a handful of aromatic spices like turmeric, paprika, garam masala, cumin, cloves, and seasoning.
I add coconut cream at the end to thicken the gravy and gives the curry some richness.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Curry
For this recipe I used fresh pumpkin chunks. You can buy them ready chopped and packed form your local store or any supermarket. Do not use paste because that will not work.
In a large pan, heat the oil and sweat the onions on medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and chili and stir for 1 minute.
Add all the spices to coat the onions well then add pumpkin and chickpeas and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Pour vegetable stock and cover the pan and let simmer for 15 minutes. Finish with coconut cream, give it a quick stir and turn the heat off.
Garnish with a handful of fresh chopped cilantro and serve warm.
What to serve this Curry with
This Curry is best served with some steamed white rice or naan bread.
Check out my other similar recipes:
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 green chili, de-seeded, finely chopped
- 1lb pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded, roughly chopped
- 1/2 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut cream
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, for garnishing
- In a large pan, heat the oil and sweat the onions on low heat until translucent. Add garlic and chili and stir for 1 minute. Add all the spices to coat the onions well then add pumpkin and chickpeas and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Pour vegetable stock, cover the pan and let simmer for 15 minutes. Finish with coconut cream, give it a quick stir and turn off heat.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve warm with steamed white rice or naan bread.
— DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? —
Tag @gusscooks on Instagram