Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets recipe made with chicken breasts and coated with crunchy wholegrain chips, these healthy nuggets are kids’ favorite and can be served with any dipping sauce of your choice.
My children love chicken nuggets. We all do, especially if they are baked and can be enjoyed guilt-free!
These nuggets are healthy and delicious and made with fresh chicken they taste by far better than any frozen-supermarket nuggets.
I follow a three-step coating method in making them—flour coat, egg and then chips coats to seal the moisture of the chicken and give it that extra crisp and crunch.
What Nuggets Are Made of
Most of the chicken nuggets available on the market are made with less chicken meat and a lot of fats and additives which make them totally unhealthy and in many cases not so tasty.
This homemade baked nuggets recipe is made with 100% skinless, boneless chicken breasts and simple spices with a generous coat of crispy wholegrain Sun Chips that turn them delicious and healthy.
If you do not wish to use Sun Chips, I actually tried the same recipe with Cornflakes cereal, but I had to season them a bit more. The outcome was great too.
You only need a few simple ingredients for these delicious nuggets: chicken breasts, salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic powder, paprika, flour, eggs and wholegrain Sun Chips.
How to Make Baked Nuggets
Preheat the oven to 425F (220C) and line a 10″ x 15″ baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Put the Sun Chips in a zip lock bag and roll a rolling pin back and forth over them to break them down to the desired size.
Cut your chicken breasts into 3-inch sized pieces.
Prepare three mixing bowls or plates and follow the simple three step coating method.
- In the first bowl, mix the flour with all the spices.
- In the second bowl, whisk the two eggs.
- In the third bowl, place your crushed wholegrain Sun Chips (choose a flavor you like).
Dip the chicken pieces in the first bowl and coat well with flour and spices. Then dip them in the egg mixture and finally coat the nuggets with chips making sure they are well coated on all sides..
Arrange on the baking sheet and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until they have a beautiful golden color on the outside.
What to Have with Baked Nuggets
My kids prefer their chicken nuggets with fries and ketchup.
You can go with any sauce of your choice. I also made a cocktail sauce with it for the kids and a spicy version for adults.
Nuggets pair well with potato wedges, and baked potatoes too.
You can serve them as a snack or a meal or include them in your birthday and party menus.
- 1 1/2lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups wholegrain Sun Chips, broken to small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C) and line a 10"x 15" baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Prepare 3 mixing bowls.
- Cut your chicken into 3-inch sized pieces.
- In one mixing bowl, mix flour with all spices. In a second bowl whisk the eggs. In the third, put the Sun Chips after breaking them down.
- Dip the chicken pieces in flour, then in egg mixture, then coat with chips.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on baking sheet and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 601mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g