Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets—chicken breasts and crunchy wholegrain chips. These healthy nuggets are kids’ favorite, and you can serve them with any dipping sauce of your choice.
My children love chicken nuggets. We all do, especially if they are baked and can be enjoyed guilt–free!
These nuggets are healthy and delicious, and I make with fresh chicken, so they taste by far better than any frozen–supermarket nuggets.
I follow a three–step coating method in making them. This, I use a flour coat, egg and then chips coats to seal the moisture of the chicken and give it that extra crisp and crunch.
What Nuggets Are Made of
Most of the chicken nuggets available on the market have less chicken meat and a lot of fats and additives which make them totally unhealthy and in many cases not so tasty.
This homemade baked nuggets recipe uses 100% skinless, boneless chicken breasts and simple spices. I coat them with a generous amount of crispy wholegrain Sun Chips that turn them delicious and healthy.
If you do not wish to use Sun Chips, I actually tried the same recipe with Cornflakes cereal, but I had to season them a bit more. The outcome was great too.
You only need a few simple ingredients for these delicious nuggets: chicken breasts, garlic powder, paprika, flour and eggs. You will also need wholegrain Sun Chips for coating.
How to Make homemade Baked Nuggets
Preheat the oven to 425F (220C) and line a 10″ x 15″ baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Put the Sun Chips in a zip lock bag and roll a rolling pin back and forth over them to break them down to the desired size.
Next, work on your chicken by cutting the chicken breasts into 3–inch pieces.
Prepare three mixing bowls or plates and follow the simple three step coating method.
- In the first bowl, mix the flour with all the spices.
- Second bowl, whisk the two eggs.
- Third bowl, place your crushed wholegrain Sun Chips (choose a flavor you like).
Dip the chicken pieces in the first bowl and coat well with flour and spices. Then dip them in the egg mixture and finally coat the nuggets with chips making sure they are well coated on all sides..
Arrange on the baking sheet and bake for 20–25 minutes or until they have a beautiful golden color on the outside.
What to Have with Baked Nuggets
My kids prefer their chicken nuggets with fries and ketchup, but you can go with any sauce of your choice. I also made a cocktail sauce with it for the kids and a spicy version for adults.
I personally find nuggets pair well with fried or baked potatoes. Try them with my Garlic Butter Potatoes
- 1 1/2lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups wholegrain Sun Chips, broken to small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C) and line a 10"x 15" baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Prepare 3 mixing bowls.
- Cut your chicken into 3-inch sized pieces.
- In one mixing bowl, mix flour with all spices. In a second bowl whisk the eggs. In the third, put the Sun Chips after breaking them down.
- Dip the chicken pieces in flour, then in egg mixture, then coat with chips.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on baking sheet and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 601mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g
— DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? —
Tag @gusscooks on Instagram