Chicken Noodle Soup – comforting and delicious chicken soup with vegetables and noodles that is ideal for the cold days.
Is there anything better than a cup of warn chicken soup on a cold day?
This simple and easy to make homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is the perfect fall and winter meal. It is the ultimate comfort food when you are bundled up and craving a warm and healthy dinner.
Made with tender chicken chunks, fresh and soft pieces of vegetables and farfalle pasta, all cooked in a rich and flavorful chicken broth and finished with a handful of freshly chopped parsley, this soup is healthy homemade food at its best!
When I was growing up, chicken soup was a stable dish in our household especially on cold and rainy Lebanese winter days. My mom would make a big pot for the family and as we huddle around the fire at night she would ladle her love and the soup in cups to keep us all warm and happy. This chicken soup reminds me of my childhood.
To make this classic, hearty soup you will need:
Vegetables: onion, carrot, celery and parsley. You can add any other type of vegetables you like too.
Chicken: I used skinless, boneless chicken breasts however, thighs are good too and you can also use shredded rotisserie chicken.
Liquids: you will need chicken broth and water.
Noodles: farfalle pasta, I used traditional dried Italian Organic Farfalle. Any ribbon pasta or even orzo can be used too. Use what you have in your pantry and like to eat most.
You will also need some butter and olive oil to cook the vegetables and brown the chicken.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
The vegetables: In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium–low heat. Then, add onions, carrots and celery; cook for 15 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
The chicken: Meanwhile, chop the chicken into 1 inch cubes and in a large skillet add olive oil and cook the chicken for 5 minutes on medium–low heat until golden brown. Remove from heat and add to vegetables.
The soup: Add 1 cup of broth to the chicken skillet; cook for 1 minute scraping up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. After that, add broth to vegetables and chicken. Then, stir in remaining broth, water, salt, pepper and parsley. Add farfalle and cook on medium–low heat for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.
Ladle the soup in serving bowls and serve warm with some grated cheese and a crostini on the side.
You may enjoy my other soup recipes:
- Lentil Lemon and Potato Soup
- Carrot Orange Ginger Soup
- Red Lentil Soup
- Butternut Cream Soup
- Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups uncooked miniature farfalle pasta
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium–low heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook for 15 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, chop the chicken into 1 inch cubes and in a large skillet add olive oil and cook the chicken for 5 minutes on medium–low heat until golden brown. Remove from heat and add to vegetables.
- Add 1 cup of broth to skillet; cook for 1 minute scraping up any browned bits from bottom of skillet. Add broth to vegetables and chicken. Stir in remaining broth, water, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Add farfalle and cook on medium–low heat for 15 minutes or until fully cooked. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 932mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g